Skip to main content

Oslo Kringle Recipe

Oslo Kringle Recipe


Oslo Kringle is a delicious Norwegian dessert, with the flavor and texture of a cream puff, but with a simpler preparation and fjords of almond icing.

My Gramma John was full-blooded Norwegian. Though she was born in Minnesota, both her parents emigrated from Norway in the early 20th century. She grew up speaking Norwegian, making lefse, and eating lutefisk. My dad, her youngest son among 8 children, grew up with this heritage.

My Aunt Cass, my mother’s sister, spent a year in Norway during college. Despite her very Polish heritage, she embraced the Norsk culture, language, and food. She is quick to teach me and my four siblings about our father’s ancestors and give gifts from Norway.

So, it should come as no surprise that when Heritage Day rolled around at school and I or one of my siblings was called on giving a presentation, we leaned on the Norwegians. My great uncle had gifted my dad a hand-carved Viking ship that we took to show off along with the ribbons and lace items supplied by Aunt Cass; my mom baked an Oslo Klinger.

At least that’s what she called it. My sisters and I have googled it till we’re blue in the face, but we could not find Oslo Klinger anywhere in Norwegian lore. Or Google as the case may be.

One sister suggested my mom must have just made it up when she was pressed for time one day and one of her progeny needed a baked good for Heritage Day. I sent out a family group text early one morning to find out more.

All three of us knew how to recreate it: cream puff dough, sugar icing, and almonds. We knew that much.

In her defense, Mom said that a woman from church had given her the recipe and it was she who called it Oslo Klinger and said it was Norwegian. Maybe she made it up….

But, no! I asked the Facebook peeps and they solved the mystery! There is, indeed, a dessert called Oslo Kringle. So the letters got a little mixed up. The mystery is solved and our Norwegian heritage claims remain justified.

I did a little research on Oslo Kringle. Apparently, there are many different variety of kringle. Some are made like a filled danish. Others in an O shape. Still others with a pie crust bottom. But, I found some versions similar to ours, meaning we weren’t too crazy for perpetuating this tradition.


Please note that beating in the eggs takes a little muscle. Apparently, my Norwegian ancestors were a bit stronger than I am. I had to have my teenage son take turns. I’ve heard that you can transfer the hot mixture to a stand mixer and beat in the eggs that way. I didn’t want to wash another bowl. I am reconsidering that idea for next time.

Bon Appetit! I hope you enjoy this as much as my family and I do. Yum!

Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
12 servings

Ingredients:

1 cup hot water
1/2 cup butter
1 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons toasted, slivered almonds

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
In a medium saucepan, bring the water and butter to a boil.
Add the flour and salt. Cook over medium, stirring, until the mixture leaves the sides of the pan and forms a ball around the spoon.
Remove the pan from heat and beat in the eggs one at a time. (Get your teenage son to help you. I did.)
Spread the batter in a large rectangle on the prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes.
Turn off the oven. Prick holes in the pastry and allow to rest in the hot oven for 20 minutes more to dry out the insides of the pastry.
Cool the pastry on a rack.
In a small bowl combine the powdered sugar, milk, almond extract, and lemon zest.
Place the pastry on a serving platter. Drizzle the icing over the top of the pastry. Sprinkle the almonds over all.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Danish Kringle Recipe

Scandinavian Kringle recipe This Easy Christmas Kringle Recipe is a Very Easy Dessert Idea Danish Kringles is a Danish-like pastry, filled with fruits, nuts, cheese, etc., then drizzled with icing.  Over the years, a variety of fruit and nut fillings were added, and in the United States (not Denmark, the pretzel shape was changed to its present oval shape to eliminate the unfilled, overlapping parts. True kringles are very labor intensive and can take up to three days to prepare, as they are made with up to thirty layers of delicate pastry dough.  The challenge for a kringle baker is to roll butter thinly between several layers of yeast-raised dough.   According to kringle bakers, you must roll very slowly to make the layers thinner.  The traditional Racine bakeries offer a flat, oval kringle.  The best places to enjoy kringles are in the bakeries in Racine. History of Danish Kringles: Danish Kringles are butter-layered Danish pastries that were first introduce

Norwegian Chicken Recipe

CROCKPOT CHICKEN & MUSHROOMS Easy and Yummy Winter Seasonal Recipes My crockpot has a spot on my kitchen counter where it stays. I try to use it at least 5 times a week, sometimes more. I am a busy mom, and my time is important to me and my family. Since I use my crockpot so much I like to have variety. This Crockpot Chicken & Mushrooms brings exactly that to the table! Ingredients 1 1/2 lbs Chicken Breasts 2 tbsp olive oil 16 ounces mushrooms sliced 1 medium onion diced 2 cloves garlic minced 1 1/2 cup chicken broth 2 tbsp cornstarch salt and pepper to taste chopped fresh parsley optional Instructions In a medium skillet, add oil and chicken. Cook on medium-high heat and sear until brown, flip, and brown the other side. Place in slow cooker. In the same pan, add onion and saute until tender. Add to slow cooker. Place the mushrooms, garlic, and parsley in an even layer over the chicken and onions in the slow cooker. Pour in chic